Tuesday, December 31, 2013

new year's goals


Hey, I'm a new mom so I'm focussing on some goals for 2014 vs. resolutions (a.k.a. promises). 2013 was the best year of my life so far because I got to meet our baby girl, Charlotte, and I started the most important role I will ever take on - being a good mother.

Since I am on maternity leave, the plan is to go back to work in October 2014. It will all depend on finances basically but if money wasn't an issue, I would definitely be a stay at home mom. That's actually my new dream.

Unfortunately that dream is not in the cards right now so I am going to use 2014 as a refocusing year - to work on becoming the woman (and mother) I really want to be.

Start Moving
I was super excited when I started breastfeeding and lost a ton of weight after Charlotte was born. It felt like it just melted away and even though I wasn't back to pre-pregnancy shape, I was feeling pretty good. Then I went to put my jeans on (that fit me pretty good about a month after giving birth) at about 8 weeks post delivery, they didn't fit. Not even a little bit. Normally this would depress me big time but with all my focus on Charlotte these days, I didn't let it bother me too much. I guess since Charlotte is eating less - and more efficiently - I'm not burning as many calories. I'm proud of my body for what it went through to bring Charlotte into the world, but I must admit, I'm not a fan of looking at myself naked. Because of that, I will move more in 2014. I'm not big on working out so even if it just means going for more walks around the neighborhood or playing spring league soccer, my body is going to start going in a healthy direction instead of backwards. 

Get Creative
When I was pregnant I was really worried that I wasn't going to have time to get anything done. Turns out I was really wrong. There's plenty of time in the day, it just comes down to me to use it effectively. Since Charlotte was born (October 11th) I have worked on my scrapbook, put together her baby book, created and assembled our Christmas cards, written more blog posts than ever before - a lot of little, creative projects that I have loved working on. In 2014 I will continue writing on my blog and will keep working on creative projects (hoping to get back into the jewelry making game - more on that later) that aren't too overwhelming, and feed my soul.

Declutter
If I don't love it or need it, it is out of here. Period. Feels so good to purge and donate so I will do much more of it in 2014. We have so much, too much, and way more than we need. I guess if my husband loves something, it has to stay, but if it's not useful to one of us - bye bye.

Stay Connected
For the first few months of Charlotte's life, I had major anxiety when I had plans on the calendar. I would worry about something I had to do that was more than a week away. Part of it was due to the fact that my husband and I switched vehicles so I was suddenly driving a big truck (compared to a Honda civic hatchback) - that I couldn't park for the life of me. The other part was because I had a fear of Charlotte getting too fussy in public. What if she cries and I can't console her? What if I need to breastfeed her in public? Of course I always built it up bigger in my head. And of course it always worked out just fine. I would even get anxious if people came to visit me at my house. But I always enjoyed it. I loved the company, the connecting, the chats. So in 2014 I am going to make more plans. Connect with more friends and family. Less fear and more human contact. Bring it on.

I am really looking forward to seeing what the New Year has to offer. Now, if only I could find a way to slow down time, everything would be perfect! :)

What are your goals for the New Year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - I love and appreciate the feedback. Please don't leave spam comments. They will be removed immediately. Cheers!