Friday, December 20, 2013

1st time mom review series // nursery planning

* This post doesn't really belong in the 1st Time Mom series but I wanted to share our nursery story with you and this seemed like as good a place as any. Enjoy!
 
When we first found out I was pregnant, I went in to immediate nursery planning mode. A project that I had to do so even though I had to think about a budget, I still had to get it done? Yes please! And I wanted to make the room a special place for little him or her.
 
My husband and I are not very frilly people. I have always been a bit of a tomboy and even started a "Tomboy Only Club" when I was younger (there were sashes with puffy paint letters on them and everything) so I knew immediately that we would do something that was pretty gender neutral. I immediately started a design board and quickly decided on aqua as the main colour with light grey and white as the accents. My husband was on board and off we went to price out paint and then we were going to go from there.
 
We were at Home Depot and all hell broke loose. My husband "claims" he didn't agree to my gender neutral theme (by then we knew we were having a girl) and he insisted on a more "girly" colour like pink or purple. Um - say what now? Where the heck was this coming from? We then focussed in on purples and greens (I was not letting go of my neutral colour option) and then there were tears. Lots of them (from me, not him - and come on, I was 6 or 7 months pregnant at the time - give me a break)!
 
We left sans paint (needless to say I am sure).
 
Then - about a week later - my husband came home and declared that our baby girl was going to have a Tinkerbell themed room and that the main colour would be purple. You know how I mentioned before about the tomboy thing? Well, my one exception was for Disney and more specifically for Tinkerbell so I was in. Hook, line and sinker.
 
My husband took the reins and I just went along for the ride. He painted. He wallpapered. He decaled. He stenciled. You name it, he did it - all in the name of his future daughter. I accessorized and organized. Together we made a magical room for a soon to be born beautiful little girl. We haven't spent much room in there yet but one day, I hope she loves it!
 
Disclaimer: I am not a photographer and nor do I claim to be. I really hope as this blog series progresses, I get better but for now, you just have to put up with my lame ass photos. Sorry friends!

 





P.S. Thank you to my soccer team for the changing table (go Ninjas!), to my husband for the amazing job he did and for all of our friends and family who have since filled the room with beautiful and fun trinkets, toys and treasures!

Are you a 1st Time Mom and trying to figure it out as you go along too? Feel free to leave me a comment with any questions and I will be more than happy to get back to you. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - I love and appreciate the feedback. Please don't leave spam comments. They will be removed immediately. Cheers!