Friday, January 17, 2014

1st time mom review series // gliders

Now that I have been a new mommy for over 3 months (yikes - that's a quarter of my way through maternity leave!!) I have had enough time to realize what products/items I should have invested in before having baby Charlotte.

There aren't many changes I would make - there are some products I would like to try if we ever have snigger baby (dream list to come in future post) but we have figured out each stage so far with what we have (most of the items we use daily were hand-me-downs - I'm very grateful). 

But the one thing I would have. Hanged from the get go is our seating situation in the nursery. Charlotte slept in our room with me for the first 2.5 months - in a bassinet, in a little bed next to me, on my chest and propped up in a breastfeeding pillow. And I fed her almost exclusively on our bed. All setups worked well at the time but it also meant that the only use the nursery got was for diaper changes.

Fast forward to now and she's sleeping 100% of her naps and at night in her crib so I am spending more time in there nursing her at night. Enter the seating issue.

My mother-in-law was very gracious to loan me her rocking chair that she used to nurse all three if her boys. She even went through the painstaking process of creating cushions for me to match Charlotte's purple room. Hey, if it was good neigh for her, it must work fine for me right? Wrong. I'm a wimp. It's uncomfortable. Period.
 
So then my husband brought up his good old lazy boy for me that usually sits in front of his giant fish tank (we don't have cable so we will take any entertainment we can get around here - ha ha). I thought it would be great for the nights when all Charlotte wants to do is comfort nurse and if I had to settle in for the night, I would be comfy. Wrong. It was just plain awkward and I couldn't, for the life of me, get out of it without waking Charlotte up.

So back to my mother-in-laws my husband went to borrow her glider (no ottoman- bummer) and even though it doesn't match the décor, it works. It's old and the fabric is well worn, and dirty in some areas, but it works for C and me.
 
So, the moral of this story is to invest in a good glider, ottoman and side table (I don't have one of those either). You will spend a lot of time in this space with your little one so make it as comfortable for you as you can. You are worth it and you won't be sorry.

Here are my dream gliders if I find some money to purchase my own, or for our 'maybe baby #2':

Target.com - $199.99
 
Target.com - $449.00
 
Amazon.com - $699.00
 
Hmm ... I am quickly seeing a theme here - next 'maybe baby' nursery must be grey!
 
What product do you wish you had purchased the first time around?

Are you a 1st Time Mom and trying to figure it out as you go along too? Feel free to leave me a comment with any questions and I will be more than happy to get back to you. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - I love and appreciate the feedback. Please don't leave spam comments. They will be removed immediately. Cheers!