Saturday, July 13, 2013

LOUD talker?


When I was little and started talking, my parents quickly new that something wasn't quite right. I couldn't pronounce certain letters properly - pillow would be piwwow.

This puzzled them and my teachers because I was a pretty bright kid - made friends easy, learned things quickly and adapted easily. So what was going on?

Turns out that back then (I was born in 1979) they didn't do hearing tests on a regular basis or assume to check the ears like they would now if a child has development issues. 

Turns out I was born with a hearing problem that took a while for my parents to realize because it wasn't obvious until I started speaking. 

A simple procedure - tubes in my ears (wasn't so bad - I got a Popsicle after all - and a summer of wearing ear plugs every time I went swimming in the tub, and I was good as new - could say pillow with the best of them!

Now - at 34 years old - I often have people tell me that I'm a loud talker. I catch myself all the time. Even my mom and my husband ask me on a regular basis why I'm shouting. Um - hello - you of all people should make the connection. 

Moral of the story is: don't judge. You have no clue why someone is the way they are or what their whole story is. No, talking loud isn't a huge deal or something that impairs my life in any way but there is a reason for it. If you know the story, just let it be. 

Yes - I'm a loud talker and baby I was born this way! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - I love and appreciate the feedback. Please don't leave spam comments. They will be removed immediately. Cheers!