Monday, March 10, 2014

writing wednesdays

I spent some time this weekend cleaning out some old files. With a new baby comes a lot of paperwork so I wanted to get rid of some old stuff to make room for the new (and way more important) stuff.
 
In my travels through my craft room closet I came across my old writing file. I LOVE to write - always have and always will. I have been writing poetry and stories since I could spell. I've made countless writing/art projects as gifts for friends and family, and even get excited when I get to write a to do list - this girl is a writer through and through. Other than for documentation purposes, writing is why I started this blog in the first place - a small corner of the world for me to put my words down in one place just for me ... and whoever else might stumble across and read them.
 
When I was in grade 12, I had a very incompetent guidance counsellor who didn't really know what direction to point me in so, knowing that I wanted a practical college program vs. a university degree (hindsight being what it is - I might have opted for the degree but I am still a believer in experience and talent over education any day of the week) I looked for anything that had to do with writing. I stumbled across Douglas College's Print Futures: Professional Writing Program and after reading a few of the class summaries (I describe the program basically as a way to become every type of writer imaginable besides a novelist), I registered. Long story short, after some mix-ups, an intimidating interview and a handful of writing samples, I made the cut and attended the program from 1997 until graduating in 1999.
 
I've only kept a file folder full of writing projects throughout the years - from early childhood through to adult years. One of my most treasured possessions is my book of poetry that I have kept since high school - scrapbook style. I have long lost any electronic copies of my poems so I thought I would start a new series here on the blog called "Writing Wednesdays" where I will share a poem or a story each week. This will give me a chance to get them typed out, edited and re-shaped a bit - and have someone else enjoy them ... I hope. :)
 
Hope to see you back here on Wednesday for the first piece. And I would love to hear about and read your writing too if you care to share!
 
In grade 12, I took any writing related course I could: English AP, English Lit AP and Writing 12. In Writing we were given a different project to complete each week and "Eddie the Fireman" was my children's book assignment. My teacher was (crazy) supportive and even helped me send copies off to publishers. Looking at it now I can't help but think, "What the hell were we thinking?!" but it was a fun exercise at the time and I look forward to reading this little gem to my daughter for years to come.



I was an ... interesting teenager to say the least. Stubborn, strong, fiercely independent and bitchy (ask anyone). I had no clue who I was but I felt like I was on the edge of finding out so I was super confused, anxious and self-conscious. Writing helped me express myself so one day I thought, "Why not write my own religion?" I've always been really confused and unsure when it comes to a 'higher power' and have had a few bad things happen to me in my lifetime so this little self-imposed project help me put all those thoughts into focus. Looking back, it was probably a cry for help but now, at 35, I can appreciate what it is and am so glad I kept it. I mean, who does this?
 
Another storybook I wrote and illustrated using copied Suzy's Zoo characters. I'm going to read this one to my daughter this afternoon. She's too young to care ... or laugh at her momma yet. :)

 My Super Shades (remember these??) poetry journal. Filled with words, illustrations and dedications. I can't believe how dark my writing was from a very young age. No wonder my dad started questioning me after he read "An Apple Never Tasted as Good as the Day my Dad Died". What was I thinking?

6 comments:

  1. I love finding stuff that I've forgotten I have. So fun to look back through it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like finding unexpected treasures - such a blast from the past!

      Delete
  2. So cute! I'm discovering how good it is for us to go back to things we loved as a child and revisit them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so fun and I can't wait to share it all with my daughter.

      Delete
  3. Cool, I've never been to a professional writing program, what great opportunity. Funny you came across those old keepsakes, a great way to remember how far you've come :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - I love and appreciate the feedback. Please don't leave spam comments. They will be removed immediately. Cheers!