Wednesday, March 26, 2014

writing wednesdays // when you died, a piece of everyone's heart died with you


On December 3, 1996, a young family friend passed away after a drunk driving accident (he was driving alone and was the only one involved). I was 17 at the time, and even though I had dealt with my fair share of tragedies in my young life, this incident was extremely hard for me, and my family.

Looking back now, I am so grateful that I had writing as an outlet to get me through the rough times. It's no wonder a lot of young people act out as they suffer through the trials and tribulations of adolescence, the teen years and hormone changes.

I will definitely be encouraging my daughter to keep a journal from a very young age. When you don't feel like you have anyone to talk to, or that no one will truly listen, it always feels better after you write about it. I need to remember this too, now, at 35 and incorporate daily writing back into my life. We miss you Rob! xo

When You Died, A Piece of Everyone's Heart Died With You
 
Your presence is missed in the now empty and desolate house.
Words are hardly spoken because once one's mouth opens to speak, everyone is distracted by the glistening tears falling down our cheeks.
Somewhere in time, your soul is trapped and you have found your place of freedom.
You have fallen asleep into a heavenly dream from which you can never awake.

When you died, a piece of everyone's heart died with you.

The soccer field will miss your cleats impressing into the earth.
Your graceful run, so close to the ground, your million yard throw-ins, and your timely, tricky maneuvers can never be replaced.
You tried to act cool one day in front of all the girls and you truly did impress us all with your slip.
You sure did make us all laugh that day. 
 
When you died, a piece of everyone's heart died with you.

A child should always outlive his parents, but oh how you beat the odds.

Invincible, remarkable, talented, young, strong, good looking; the list goes on forever and a day.
You left your family and friends behind and moved onto bigger and better things, to a better world, a better life.
Someday we will see you again ... someday.

When you died, a piece of everyone's heart died with you.

We will miss your laugh, your smile, your skills, your ability, your eyes, your nose, your hair, your body, your mouth, your touch.

Everything you need now is your loving soul and behind you have left us your heart and character.
These are embedded in our minds and hearts forever.
A son, a brother, a nephew, a grandson, a cousin, a friend.
You were so many things but always a little boy who hadn't grown into your true title of "King".


When you died, a piece of everyone's heart died with you.
 
~ Jaclyn Van Den Berg (Bower) - December 4, 1996
 

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry your friend died so young. My high school was in a rough & tough northern Canadian community and we had a few drinking and driving deaths during my grade 11 & 12 years. Those types of accidents are so unnecessary and hard to accept. Especially when the person is so young.
    Your poem is very touching and reminds me of the good memories I still have of my friends who passed; brings a smile to my face. I'm certain that Rob is looking out for you every day :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - I love and appreciate the feedback. Please don't leave spam comments. They will be removed immediately. Cheers!