Friday, May 9, 2014

brain dump

Life has been a bit crazy lately and when life goes off the rails, I quickly realized how much I enjoy having set plans, writing and following a regular napping schedule for my daughter. When I don't get to enjoy those 3 things, I feel like all hell breaks loose. I am now back to normal and all those things are taking place again so I feel much more settled and less anxious. Amazing what a little order can do for my type-A personality!
 
Last Sunday, April 27th, the world lost an angel here on earth, my grandmother, Janet Isabella Bower (nee Shankie) at 91 years old. The family viewing was this past Sunday and the service was on Monday. 
 
Great Grandma Janet and Great Granddaughter Charlotte on Grandma's 91st birthday - January 20, 2014.
 
For the past several years, my grandmother's health has been deteriorating including a heart attack, strokes and dealing with dementia. Therefore, it didn't hit me as hard as I thought it would when my aunt phoned to tell me she had passed (I went to the hospital knowing I was saying good-bye the Friday before she passed away). But I struggled with the head of our family being gone for a few days afterwards - and had a moment where I broke down at the burial. To say that this woman will be missed by friends and family is an understatement - she is a part of us, she made us who we are and for that, I will be eternally grateful.
 
BOWER, Janet Isabella January 20, 1923 - April 27, 2014 Janet Isabella Bower was the daughter of Thomas and Bertha Shankie and was raised in Burnaby, British Columbia. Predeceased by her husband of 60 years Charles Franklin (Frank) Bower, her son Gordon Franklin Bower, her son-in-law Charles Tyrone Flintroy and her brother Ramsey Hunter Shankie. Janet is survived by her loving family; daughter Janice Flintroy, grandson Michael Flintroy, granddaughter Danielle Shaw (Bobby), great grandson Charles and soon to be great granddaughter Emily, granddaughter Jaclyn Van Den Berg (Chad) and great granddaughter Charlotte, and great-grandchildren Mackenzie and Kai Bower, granddaughter Charleen Flintroy and grandsons Rikko and Delano and numerous other family members and friends. A special thank you to the Hughes family for their love and support. Our gratitude to the staff at St. Michael's Care Centre. . Funeral Service will be held at Forest Lawn Funeral Home (3789 Royal Oak Avenue, Burnaby) on Monday May 5, 2014 at 1:30pm.
 
*************************
 

While I was dealing with everything that was going on with my grandma, I was a part of a conversation on Facebook as to what the best diaper pail on the market is. I know - random - but since our daughter has started eating solids, things have become a bit more ... fragrant in our house - ha ha. I've mentioned it before but I have a HUGE love affair going on with Facebook right now and this just illustrates it once again. I asked the question about diaper pails on a "Mom Group" that I am a part of and within seconds, I had one reply saying that if I end up with a Diaper Genie, they had three free refills for me (this was from a friend) and another reply saying that if I wanted to come pick it up, they had a new Diaper Genie I could have for free. Um - yes please!
 
On top of my grandma not doing well and then passing away, I was hit with the flu which then transitioned into a sinus infection/cold. It was brutal and I am sure that the stress and heartache I was going through didn't help. My rock star hubby took our daughter out for a daddy/Charlotte day so I could sleep in and he picked up the Diaper Genie for us. When he got home, I broke down when I saw what was with the Genie - keeping in mind I have never met this woman and only had a two second convo on Facebook. I had sent her a message telling her I wasn't feeling well so my husband was picking it up and she had left a big bag of all brand named clothes for our daughter, along with a mug, a teabag and a note wishing me well ...
 
 
I was blown away and overwhelmed by the kindness of this stranger. There is always a bright light in this world even on the darkest days. Thank you!
 
*************************
 
And on another random note - I have to tell you that I have been selling our stuff on Facebook for 3 and a half weeks now and it is going so well. Look for a post in the near future for tips and tricks to organize and sell your items on Facebook - it's so much easier than you might think!
 
Thanks for reading my brain dump for the week. How is your week going?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a message - I love and appreciate the feedback. Please don't leave spam comments. They will be removed immediately. Cheers!